The center box will be a vent for the building. It also provides venting for the roof.
It will have its own cute little cupola roof.
Someone's gotta do dishes through it all.
The roof all framed and fascia boarded. Nice job Velton! The only wood we bought was for the 4 main rafters since they needed to be a little deeper than the mill could easily cut. As a result, we ended up with better wood than we could probably ever buy and milled to the dimensions that we wanted.
View out the East window.
You can see the vernal pool and the clay we dug out to build the cottage with.
Starting to nail the decking in place.
The roof will be covered in slate, so it has to be really stout.
We went with full coverage one inch decking as recommended in the Slate Roof Bible.
He really should have a safety harness.
This picture should be Velton and Tamara since they decked most of the roof.
The open space over the porch will be glassed to let light in to the double paned french doors. The building already heats up pretty well when the sun is shining even with air leaks galore, so it looks like the passive solar design is probably going to work well.
Velton & Laird tacking on felt paper which is now leaking a little here and there, mostly due to the last roll of cheap paper bought in a rush at the last minute:( We hope to get through the winter with just this layer so we can slate during the summer or fall and concentrate on the Cottage interior for the remainder of the wet season. Right now we have temporary doors and plastic over the windows. There's a wood stove, so we can heat it, and the electrical is mostly in.
Next are two more floor layers, plastering the inside and outside, installing the kitchenette, and putting in the doors and windows some of which have to be custom built.
Just after the roof was finished, we went for a much anticipated kayak fishing trip at the coast.
After building fun with some incredibly perfect days on the ocean. Very good fishing.
Kendra came after all the fun part was over and graciously helped clean up the aftermath of frantic building (along with some kimchee making and bacon smoking).
Thanks Kendra, and thanks to everyone else who has helped and will continue to help on this project. It's turning out fantastic and we hope it will be an inspirational example of what can be done with some alternative building methods. Hopefully we'll continue this photo essay as the project progresses.